Saturday 4 October 2014

#24HCD first post

#24HCD 2014 first post.

The 24Hr Comic Day challenge is to devise, pencil, ink and upload (publish) a 24 page comic in 24 hours.
I've attempted this 4 times, and succeeded twice, and not quite made it twice.
Whilst this sounds simple it really is a bit of a race, and the fiddling about, erasing pencil marks, tidying inks up, adding speech bubbles, scanning the work and collating it in a comic like form take precious minutes, and indeed hours.

So this year to speed things up I'm planning to work on a large scale with free flowing COPIC CHIAO markers that I previously used in live graphic facilitiation sessions... FAST inking.

I was going to make some stick on speech bubbles like Alex Fitch prepared for our cut and stick comic session at the IS staff conference, but didn't get round to it... I'm not sure if it'll be quicker to add speech bubbles as I go or add them at the end. The latter gives me more time to refine the actual words... and the story.

I'm going to photograph the resulting pages with my iPhone which automatically adds the images to iCloud, and thus also iPhoto which I can use to create a "photo Book" - by selecting the range of images then File>new Book ... then File> Print>PDF>save as PDF.
The only downside is the pdf is a bit big... 200Mb big, when the actual photos are probably only 1Mb each.

It may be I can just use that to get something online, and then go through and slim it down later.
This approach should save an hour of fiddling around, and thus allow me an extra hour of sleep... OR an extra hour of drawing.

Anyway, I'm 45 mins in, I've nearly done the splash page, which is a cracking way to blast through a page... lots of black ink, and hopefully the setup for the "story".


No comments:

Post a Comment