Saturday 26 September 2020

RPGMaker MV and Wychwolf

 Over a decade ago I drew a weekly webcomic with Adam called Wychwolf. It was a story about paranormal investigators in West Sussex in war time England, with werewolves, atomic hearts, invisible airships and crypts of pyramid tombs. The strip ran until Adam went to uni, and ran out of enthusiasm and words, making guest appearances in 24Hour Comic day stories.

I've been playing with various game engines and it seemed like the wychwolf world might lend itself to an RPG using RPGMaker MV.

I dug out the first few pages of the wychwolf story. 



Back then I drew the story on paper, scanned it with a flatbed scanner, as greyscale (I think) tidied and coloured the images in photoshop elements and published to a wordpress blog running the comic press theme.

The images were tiny, 750x553px and under 150kb.


I thought I'd see how different the pages might look today with my current way of working, drawing directly on an ipad with pencil in Autodesk Sketchbook.

The linework is almost identical, but the colours are flatter, none of the excessive dodge and burn tool use that it appears I loved back then... and the process is faster? Of course originally I had to work out what to draw based on Adam's scripts, and then alter it to try and squeeze in all the Alan Moore length speech bubbles... but I think it's faster, or I'm faster.

So I'm working on a bunch of backgrounds and characters to drop into RPGMaker MV. The tool itself is almost entirely database driven, no coding needed, the animations and transitions, stats and combat are all built in. I just need to add some visuals and a story...  which I've got.



The interstitial images I can grab from the old comic, and redraw. 
The only tricky bit is going to be the sprite sheets.
But that will be a nice project to work on in front of the fire, there's no rush.






No comments:

Post a Comment